Tuesday 23 May 2017

Stability

Purposefully making objects unstable


After experimenting with destroying stability in sand, I decided to combine both sand and plaster together, but not mixed, to make a sculpture that would crumble when I forced it to.

My idea relied on the knowledge that sand crumbles straight away or over time when water is introduced depending on how it is introduced because of a previous experiment, and also relied on the knowledge that plaster would crumble but at a slower rate because of a different experiment.

My focus for this experiment was getting a shape or layout that would work best, and where the sand could be easily reached by water. Each idea I had would always have sand as the base piece.

at first, I decided to build a tower using alternating layers of sand and plaster, but after some thought, i realised that only the bottom would crumble while the rest of the tower was like to remain stable. I chose to use triangle blocks instead, which would mean that I would have to stack up the different sized and shapes triangles into an unstable position before the experiment had even started. I planned to sit the tower in water and let it fall as the base crumbled.

I then decided to make the plaster piece larger so that it could topple over when placed on the sand triangles, which were all one size because of the trouble  had moulding them. The difference in size meant that they would either be balanced, or the top would overbalance the bottom and would be unstable.



Out of curiosity, I decided to try it with a sphere of plaster rather than another triangle.



The sand triangles I had moulded a week before, but because of the environment they were in it took them around about a wek to dry fully before I could use them.

No comments:

Post a Comment